Fears Forever

A Tears For Fears shrine

Saturday, August 26, 2006

HOW TEARS FOR FEARS CHANGED MY LIFE

I wish to tell you about how my life changed, forever, for the better, in 1982.

At the time I was in an unfulfilling marriage and lived in a semi detached house in Leek in Staffordshire in England. I had a job in a building society.

I was preparing my husband Barry's evening meal when I had what is now known as an epiphany.

In our kitchen we had a small portable television. As I was chopping some onions Top Of The Pops was on it. David Kid Jensen introduced this clip.

Hearing the song Mad World for the first time literally changed my life. I was drawn, magnetically, not to the singer of the song Kurt Smith but to the other member of Tears For Fears, Roland Orzabal. He had such a magnetic presense that I knew that my life had changed forever. His dancing was spectacular in my opinion. Later I read about shamens, and I now know that to me, Roland was a shaman. I had lost all my inhibitions and life would never be the same again. Although some of the comments about Roland's dancing under the YouTube clip are not very nice and make me angry because they are not very respectful of him.

The epiphany led to me leaving my husband and moving to Bath, home of Tears For Fears. I got a job in a sweet shop, which eventually closed down, and another sweet shop where I have been working ever since. For some time I camped outside Roland Orzabal's house, because I felt that we have a spiritual connection. Occassionally he would nod to me as he left the house, as if he "knew".

I changed my name from Glenda Griffiths (my maiden name before I became Glenda Bracewell) to Glenda Griffiths Orzabal, in honour of Roland Orzabal of Tears For Fears.

When Roland moved to America, I was devastated. This is the way we treat our stars in Britain, so badly that they have to move to America.

I however still live in Bath, which to me is the spiritual home of Tears For Fears, and where I met my current husband, Clive Tidworth. He too used to go on the Tears For Fears Extreme Forum and I could feel a bond with him. We grew closer and, unbelievibly, he didn't live that far away from Bath! It was as if we were both on the same cosmic leyline or something!

Clive has changed his name to Clive Tidworth Orzabal in honour of Roland Orzabal of Tears For Fears.

Unlike me, however, he doesn't have exactly the same date of birth as Roland Orzabal! Still, you can't have everything can you!

9 Comments:

Blogger Istvanski said...

Tears For Fears were good.
But not as good as Slayer.

September 01, 2006  
Blogger glenda said...

Thank you for being the first commentator on my weblog. I hope you will come along here and visit over the years, and you will come to understand why I feel so strongly about Tears For Fears, over the year's.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. I have not heard of 'Slayer', but they must be a very good pop group indeed to be as good as Tears For Fears.

September 01, 2006  
Blogger glenda said...

Actually, I am trying to be very balanced about what you said, as in the past I have reacted very badly to people who have not shared my opinion about Tears For Fears.

My consultent told me about some breathing ecxercises I can do when I get angry, as I am now.

I am going to go away and do them now.

September 01, 2006  
Blogger Istvanski said...

David 'kid' Jensen?

He's such a nice man.
He supports The Eagles you know...
I aint talking 'bout that hoary old pop group...RE: The 'other' Eagles who did Hotel California...

How iz orzibull these days, Glenda?

September 03, 2006  
Blogger glenda said...

Are the Eagles a Canadian ice hockey team? I know that David Kid Jensen is a Canadian, you see.

The "Eagle's Greatest Hits" was one of my former husband's favourite albums. He always used to play the casette in the car and would ignore my reqeusts to play The Hurting by "Tears For Fears", which is one of the reasons we went our separat ways.

Thank you for asking about Roland Orzabal, although you have spelled his name wrong! He is living in America and plays a lot of tennis. However, he will not allow me to have his home address, although I have asked him several times. I do not wish him any harm so it is a pitty.

September 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, you are Orzabal ...

BUT I LIKE YOU!!!!!

September 03, 2006  
Blogger Istvanski said...

"He is living in America and plays a lot of tennis"

Just like Sir Cliff, but in a different country.

Someone told me that Roland is the head of a huge musical instrument manufacturers.

September 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Sir Cliff is a great embassedor for Great Britain and I will not here a bad word said against him.

Roland has indeed built up the musical instrument empire under his assumed name of Roland Keyboard, but he likes to keep quiet about it except to special people such as me.

September 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears for Fears is too whiny.

They're not that good...

April 05, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home