Fears Forever

A Tears For Fears shrine

Thursday, July 26, 2007

OOH, BETTY!!!

The last post was about the late comedienne, Peter Kay, which inspired me to think to myself "what is my favourite comedy of all time?"

Well, I have to say that there is very little on the television now that makes me laugh at all - well, apart from the fact that I don't have a television out here in my secret lesbiene love nest in America!

But that is not the only reason - it is because there is not much these days which is funny without being rude, disgusting or hateful towards people.

There is too much nastiness about today about people who cannot answer back or who bring joy to millions, such as Parris Hilton, Brittany Spears, David Beckam (a great embassedor for Britain in my opinion!) and other very famous people. They are all seen as objects of ridicule but why??? The reason today's so-called comediennes laugh at them is because they are all jealous!

For me, the funniest comedy all comes from the 1970's, when there was no swearing or filth.

If you had to ask me what I would have to chose as the funniest part of a comedy programme ever was, it was this:



Wonderful Frank Spencer on "Some Mothers Do Have Them"!!!! My mother was at the recording of this programme and as you can hear on the clip, everyone was in histerics!! She said that all of the audience looked at each other in excitement when they watched this bit of the show - they new it was going to be one of the all-time greats and they would be able to say to their grandchildren - "I was there!" (if they were didn't die before they could see their grandchildren or if they didn't already have grandchildren).

In those days the BBC could not afford to get stuntmen, so brave Frank, played by Michael Crawford, had to do all his own stunts.

My favourite bit is where he says "Oooh, Betty, I have been articulated!!!!!" Just saying that to myself makes me fall on the ground in histerics!

Oh the memories! Click on the "You Tubes" clip to bring all the laughter flooding back!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger rockmother said...

Well of course Mr Michael Crawford was the talent and I heard an unsavoury story that Michelle thingy who played his wife was really a lesbian in disguise and made him do all those stunts to be horrid. You don't see her in Barnum's Bailey thing do you? Last seen re-stacking the broken biscuits section in Aldi's Cheadle Hulme branch I think - or it could have been Happy Shopper not sure.

July 29, 2007  
Blogger glenda said...

The Rock And Roll Mother - I have studied the "Some Mother's Do Have Them" series very seriously because I am a deep person. I think the part that Michelle Dotrice plays as Betty is just "normal" and she doesn't do anything interesting because one Frank is enough! If they were to show her doing stunts on rollerskates or hanging off buildings it would be too much for the audience to take! She is what is known as a "straightman", like Ernie Wise or Syd Little!!!

I don't think she is a lesbiene - she is married to the actor Edwood Woodwood in real life!

July 29, 2007  
Blogger rockmother said...

Ooh - wasn't he the Equivocator? I watch it quite alot on the UK Gold re-runs. Always wears tweedy jackets and ponders alot. Well, you just wouldn't have thought it would you? I wonder what ever happened to baby Jessica? She must be at least 30 by now?

July 29, 2007  
Blogger glenda said...

I looked up her name on "Goggle", and there is a Jessica Spencer who worked on the production team of the television program "Most Haunted", a Jessica Spencer who is a rower for an American team, and a young lady who is on Myspace from Southsea who is a singer! Could she be any of those?

July 30, 2007  
Blogger rockmother said...

It must be the rower one - she was always quite a beefy baby I recall.

July 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home